Monday, October 13, 2008

Having fun in Branson...


Ted and I drove to Little Rock yesterday (Sunday) to meet Nikki (my youngest daughter) and Steve (her husband) and we picked up my two grandsons, Steven, age 13, and Brendan, age 11, for their week of Fall Break from school classes.  We visited Ted's cousin, Polly, in a very nice nursing home in Little Rock before heading back to our condo in Branson.  

I feel much better just being around these "babies" (they would die if they heard me call them that) who think they are grown men.  They are growing up way too fast for my tastes and I do love spending time with them when I can.  They had many questions about Hurricane Ike and why we are not living on the beach, but they do like Branson and the condo living lifestyle.  We visited various places in Branson today and took in a wonderful tribute to Elvis done by Tim Rowland. 

His show, "Spirit of Elvis," is better every time we have seen it and today it was obvious that Tim had truly captured the heart of every member of his large audience.  He sang many of Elvis Presley's big hits (and looks so much like the young Elvis of our youth) and then he did quite a number of his impersonations, which he is known for nationwide.  

Tim does more than 200 different impersonations and he is really good.  Today, we heard Frank Sinatra, the Chairman of the Board himself, Bobby Darin, Jerry Lee Lewis, Sammy Davis Jr., "Mr. Las Vegas," Neil Diamond, Rodney Dangerfield and Jimmy Stewart, among others. Personally, I could listen to "Elvis" all day and all night.  He has his moves down pat and his voice is remarkably like "the king's."

Our neighbor here in the Pointe Royale Condo is Gary Welch, who also performs at Branson Mall, where Tim does his show, invited us to come and visit and we did and have been going back every chance we get.  Gary spent part of his career with Danny Davis and the Nashville Brass and is a very talented performer.  He's an easy going, laid back, talented singer who covers several well known artists' songs.  He is particularly good with the old Merle Haggard, a bit of Willie, Waylon Jennings and others the crowd quickly recognizes.

All of these entertainers perform solely for tips or gratuities and any of them could take their place proudly on any stage around this town or any other.  You can catch Elvis, Gary and several others at the Branson Mall, from 9 am until 9 p.m. daily.  Great family entertainment without the high ticket prices.

Speaking of tickets, Ted took me on Saturday evening to see The Platters playing at the Caravelle Theater on the strip.  They were wonderful!  And, they sang all of the old songs we remember them doing.  In fact, Johnny Butler, one of the original Platters from my youth, is still singing with this group.  I tried to determine how old he is now, but I gave up.  I know he was singing with them when I was in high school, so gosh, he's got to be up there in age, but you would never know it by his performance.  And, he hung around to greet every fan that wanted to say hello or ask a question.  Ted arranged for me to have my photograph taken with Johnny and I will treasure that as long as "Smoke Gets in My Eyes," or "The Great Pretender" plays.

I have posted a few new photographs on my Shutterfly account, so if you'd like to see them, just email and I will forward you the link.

Until the next page turns, and may God bless you,
Brenda

No comments: