Friday, October 31, 2008

Happy Halloween from beautiful Galveston Island

Well, well, Ted and I are back in Texas!  The smell of that salt, sea air out there in the beautiful Gulf makes me feel all better somehow.

Galveston had a lot of damage and many businesses, hotels, motels and restaurants are not up and running some seven weeks after Hurricane Ike.  Great piles of debris line the streets and big boats are sitting at funny angles all over the island.

We thought we had a studio apartment secured when we left Missouri to head home, but when we arrived with our confirmation number in hand, the owner/manager said that a "confirmation/number does not really mean you have a reservation and that he is in the business to make money and had to rent the studio apartment to someone else who came in first."  I almost lost my usually kind spirit and I did tell him that in America (where he was busy making a fortune), a confirmation number given in good faith meant we had a room when we arrived.  We had driven 11 hours with that hope in mind.

So, with that information stored away in my mind, we set out to look for housing yet again.  We found a beautiful, new suite in Galveston on the Gulf and took that even though the ferry that would take us to the Peninsula is not running at this time.  We spent Wednesday on the Peninsula and Ted went outward in a north western direction for one mile from our house to try to determine if we could find anything at all from the inside of the house.  He found nothing. It is still amazing to me that it just vanished and I don't think I'll ever get used to it just being gone, along with all of my things of a lifetime.

They have found two more bodies near the North Jetty where we live and Ike hit Texas seven weeks ago now.  It is so sad.  Galveston has much to do in the way of repair work and it is a slow and tiring process.

My deepest thanks to those of you who have written to us over these weeks.  Our mail had been accumulating in the new Winnie Post Office and when I went in to get it on Wednesday, we had two bags filled to the top.  I found wonderfully sweet cards of sympathy concerning Mother's death, cards regarding the Hurricane and loss of our home and just sweet, funny, little notes from dear friends.  

I sat and read and cried.  The notes and cards touched my heart and I thank each of you for them.  Please know that I have only just now received the bulk of our mail since the storm and I did not realize you had written or sent something along to us.  Our address remains Post Office Box 323, Port Bolivar, Texas 77650 for those who have asked.  Melissa, Regina, Michele, Crystal, and my dear cousin, Betty Glazner in Chattanooga, Ted Medlock, Ginger, Millie Pincus, dear Dallas Hill, Teresa, and Ann were among the many I heard from on Wednesday.  I will get caught up with my correspondence in a few days.

We are fine and still waiting for the insurance companies to say something, as are most of our friends.  Waiting is not easy, but we do it.

Until the next page turns,
Brenda

The salt, sea air sure smells good tonight!

No comments: