Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Christmas Eve 2008


Dear Family and Friends,

(Pic at right is Duke Holiday, the Brown family's new English Bulldog that came as a surprise gift to Steve from Nikki and the boys for his Christmas gift this year.)

I am writing from the home of my daughter, Nikki, and husband, Steve, in the Nashville, Tennessee area.  Ted and I have been here since Sunday visiting with our grandsons, Steven, now 13, and Brendan, now 11.  Both boys have big Christmas plans, wishes and dreams.  It has been my Christmas joy to be with them and sit and visit, hear about what's going on in their lives and hear their dreams of the future. Steven is in 8th grade and Brendan in 6th grade.  It seems impossible that they should be this grown up already.

It has been very cold, windy and a heavy, driving rain fell off and on today.  Steve has built a big, blazing fire in the stone fireplace and Nikki and I made rich chocolate fudge together from an old family recipe after dinner.  Tomorrow we have a honey baked ham, homemade potato salad, a good casserole, hot rolls, and a chocolate cake, among other goodies to call our Christmas dinner.  We have played games and have a couple of good championships going on!

I know, deep within my heart, that we are blessed.  Being with family and dear friends is my fondest wish for Christmas and I celebrated my 66th birthday yesterday amid much festivities and planned activities here.  When I awoke yesterday morning, there were seven envelopes taped to my door, each with a different greeting and specific instructions about when to open them.  I celebrated all day and opened other gifts in the evening.  We also got to take part in a small "Christmas miracle" for a young man in the area.  He is a good teenager, who works hard to help his folks and he is getting a bright red pickup truck unbeknown to him for Christmas. His face will be one to see in the morning when he wakes up and goes outside.

I wish for each of you a very Merry Christmas and a very Happy and Blessed New Year.  For those who have lost loved ones this year, may your hearts find peace and rest and may 2009 bring renewed joy.  We, like so many of our dear friends, are waiting to hear from Texas Windstorm Insurance as to whether the rebuilding cost of our home will be covered.  If so, we have a busy year ahead of us rebuilding and getting settled back into our home on the beach in Port Bolivar.  Hurricane Ike took a lot of things from us, but he did not take our hope and our inner joy.  We still know that God is good and that He has a plan for our lives, as He does for yours.  

Merry Christmas, until the next page turns,
Brenda
Psalm 37:4



No comments: